cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3rd Party Routers

audrinabo

I am trying to set up a Dray Tek 2832n router to use with my BT Business broadband but cannot get it it to connect to the line.  I have looked through this forum and used all the information I have found but cannot get itt to work.

Current settings are:

VPI 0

VCI 38

Encapsulation VC MUX

Protocol PPPoA

Modulation G.DMT

Authentication  CHAP

I have left the IP address assignment as dynamic and the username is the *****@hg70.btclick.com format along with the password I was given by BT.

Are there any other setting I need to add or change as I am running out of ideas?

Many Thanks

Matthew

14 REPLIES 14

kelper
Guru

My BTB hub has a static IP.  I think it took a day or two after connection. I have a second router connected to a LAN port on the BTB Hub which is not in bridge mode.  The second router has an IP address of 192.168.1.65.  Each router has its own wifi and whichever one I'm using, I have the same static IP as far as the internet is concerned.  The second one is using a VPN so I can have a 'presence' in USA.

audrinabo

Hi PaulC1,

So do I set an IP address in the Draytek router of my chosing, or does it need to be the IP adresss in the BT hub that it uses to connect to the WAN?

Many Thanks

Matthew

PaulC1
Administrator
Administrator

Matthew, 

Go into the BT Business hub via a webpage typing 192.168.1.254

Click on advanced settings and add your admin password, this is found near the barcode on the sticker at the back of the hub.

Then click on broadband, then routing and at the bottom of that list Bridging will be there. Click the slider and that puts your hub into bridge mode. You dont need to set any IP for the Business hub after that. You essentially turn the BT Business hub into a modem. All networking is done by your router thats been bridged. The Draytek will pick up an IP address from the internet as soon as it connects. 

If you have trouble understanding this, or need a hand setting up. DM me and I can sort out some technical support to help you. 

Thanks 

^PaulC1

audrinabo

Perfect, all working.

Thank you PaulC1

Matthew

kelper
Guru

My Draytek Vigor 2820n will connect directly, replacing the BTB Smarthub.

The settings I used which differ from yours are as follows.

Protocol PPPoE

Modulation Multimode

PPP Authentication PAP or CHAP

It connects to the telephone wall socket ie copper ADSL