cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3rd Party Routers

audrinabo

I am trying to set up a Dray Tek 2832n router to use with my BT Business broadband but cannot get it it to connect to the line.  I have looked through this forum and used all the information I have found but cannot get itt to work.

Current settings are:

VPI 0

VCI 38

Encapsulation VC MUX

Protocol PPPoA

Modulation G.DMT

Authentication  CHAP

I have left the IP address assignment as dynamic and the username is the *****@hg70.btclick.com format along with the password I was given by BT.

Are there any other setting I need to add or change as I am running out of ideas?

Many Thanks

Matthew

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

PaulC1
Administrator
Administrator

Hi Matthew, 

VDSL is Fibre to the cabinet (FTTC). Which is fibre from the exchange to cabinet and then copper from cabinet to premises. ADSL is copper broadband the whole way from Exchange to premises. Your router supports ADSL connections which is a strictly copper connection. 

Your router would need to support VDSL connections so that it can handle the higher speeds that fibre provides. That is why you are getting no connection on the line. 

Thanks

^PaulC1

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

PaulC1
Administrator
Administrator

Hi Audrinabo, 

All you should need to put in is your BT Business Broadband username and password into the Draytek 2832n for it to work. I do have a couple of questions:

1: Do you have your current BT Business Broadband user name?

2: If your broadband is fibre, does the Draytek 2832n support fibre connections?

If the answers to both these questions are yes, please DM me and we can try a couple of things to get it to work. 

Thanks 

^PaulC1

audrinabo

Hi Paul,

Yes I have the username, the connection is copper - FTTC

Many Thanks

Matthew

PaulC1
Administrator
Administrator

Excellent Matthew, 

I have just checked online and Draytek 2832n online and it doesn't say it supports fibre connections. Now I may be wrong. Can you check the specifications and see if the router does accept a fibre connection? If it does, then I can look into this further

Thanks 

^PaulC1

audrinabo

Hi PaulC1,

The WAN connection to the router is an RJ-11 connector and the broadband is delivered to the premises via copper line.

Not sure what you mean by 'supporting fibre' it is a FTTC service, the router supports ADSL2/2+ protcols.

Many Thanks

Matthew

PaulC1
Administrator
Administrator

Hi Matthew, 

VDSL is Fibre to the cabinet (FTTC). Which is fibre from the exchange to cabinet and then copper from cabinet to premises. ADSL is copper broadband the whole way from Exchange to premises. Your router supports ADSL connections which is a strictly copper connection. 

Your router would need to support VDSL connections so that it can handle the higher speeds that fibre provides. That is why you are getting no connection on the line. 

Thanks

^PaulC1

audrinabo

Ah, blast!!

Thanks Paul

kelper
Guru

Here is a list of modem/routers that support VDSL https://www.draytek.co.uk/products/routers/adsl-vdsl-wifi-routers

I bought a Draytek modem on eBay for £16 and it was easy to set up as a backup for my BTB Hub.  But it is only ADSL so my settings will be different to yours.

audrinabo

Hi Kelper,

I am going to use the Draytek as the router and acces point and use the Bus Hub 6 as the modem in bridge mode.  Do you know if the BT hub assigns itself a an IP address when in bridge mode and if so what would that be?

Many Thanks

Matthew

PaulC1
Administrator
Administrator

Hi Aurdrinabo, 

Bridging the Business Hub was going to be my suggestion to you. The answer to your question, not to stand on Kelpers toes, is when the BT Business hub 6 is in bridge mode, it won't have an IP on the network. It's sole use it to decipher the fibre connection and pass it on to your router. 

Thanks 

^PaulC1