cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Wi- fi - is it really switched off?

DrMopp

I have  'BT Wi-fi'  and 'BT-8GAC3H' SSID's in my Wi-fi list with better signal strength than my own router! - Smart Hub 2.  Not sure about BT-8GAC3H but BT Wi-fi is turned off on my router so not sure why I would be getting such a strong signal.  Neighbours are with Sky so not theirs. Thoughts anyone? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

DrMopp

@KimJ  - Please don't spend any more time on this - I have spoken with BT support and am satisfied that the BTWi-fi I SSID I am seeing in my Ubiqiti app is not from my router.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

KimJ

If you are concerned about whether your BT Wi-Fi is really switched off, there are a few steps you can take to check:

1. Check your router: If you have a BT router, you can check whether the Wi-Fi is turned on or off by looking at the lights on the front of the router. If the Wi-Fi light is off, then the Wi-Fi should be disabled. If the light is on, then the Wi-Fi is still enabled.

2. Check your devices: You can also check whether the BT Wi-Fi network is still available on your devices. Go to the Wi-Fi settings on your device and see if the BT network is still listed. If it's not listed, then the Wi-Fi is likely turned off.

3. Contact BT customer support: If you're still unsure whether your Wi-Fi is turned off, you can contact BT customer support and ask them to confirm whether the Wi-Fi has been disabled. They may also be able to assist you with turning off the Wi-Fi if it's still enabled.

It's important to remember that disabling Wi-Fi on your router or device does not necessarily mean that your internet connection is completely secure. You may also need to take additional steps to secure your home network, such as changing the default router login credentials, enabling WPA2 encryption, and using strong passwords.

DrMopp

@KimJ   Thank you for your response, however I think you may have misunderstood, I don't mean my own Wi-fi i.e. as transmitted by the router, I mean the Public BT Hotspot freely accessible by any BT user in the area which all BT routers provide unless that option is switched off in the router's management interface.
1. My router is a Smart Hub 2, there is only one light on the front, which indicates the routers status, this does not indicate the status of the Public Wi-fi option. Incidentally the light is controlled in the web interface and can be turned off, so as such is not a reliable indicator of the router's status.
2. As stated above my own network is listed (custom and easily recognised SSID without the BT prefix) and I connect to it without issue, however the SSID 'BTWi-fi' appears when searching for available networks which should only happen if  the Public Wi-fi option is 'ON' on my router,   or if there is another BT router a short distance away,  which I don't believe to be the case.(This was the whole basis of the question since I know that although turned off in my router settings, the actual setting can differ from the user configuration due to timing issues, and of course BT's interest in maintaining a high number of public hotspots) 
3. BT support may well be able to help, but this was the first port of call.
As regards security, whilst I would never claim my network is completely secure, I would not turn off Wi-fi to achieve that as it rather defeats the object of having a dual-band router.  Other steps you mention are already in place.

KimJ

@DrMopp wrote:

@KimJ   Thank you for your response, however I think you may have misunderstood, I don't mean my own Wi-fi i.e. as transmitted by the router, I mean the Public BT Hotspot freely accessible by any BT user in the area which all BT routers provide unless that option is switched off in the router's management interface.
1. My router is a Smart Hub 2, there is only one light on the front, which indicates the routers status, this does not indicate the status of the Public Wi-fi option. Incidentally the light is controlled in the web interface and can be turned off, so as such is not a reliable indicator of the router's status.
2. As stated above my own network is listed (custom and easily recognised SSID without the BT prefix) and I connect to it without issue, however the SSID 'BTWi-fi' appears when searching for available networks which should only happen if  the Public Wi-fi option is 'ON' on my router Indoor and Outdoor Pickleball,   or if there is another BT router a short distance away,  which I don't believe to be the case.(This was the whole basis of the question since I know that although turned off in my router settings, the actual setting can differ from the user configuration due to timing issues, and of course BT's interest in maintaining a high number of public hotspots) 
3. BT support may well be able to help, but this was the first port of call.
As regards security, whilst I would never claim my network is completely secure, I would not turn off Wi-fi to achieve that as it rather defeats the object of having a dual-band router.  Other steps you mention are already in place.

Let me get some other information for this, as I thought the given reply will help you to solve your issue.

DrMopp

@KimJ  - Please don't spend any more time on this - I have spoken with BT support and am satisfied that the BTWi-fi I SSID I am seeing in my Ubiqiti app is not from my router.