cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband account getting locked if multiple machines used

PinkClep

I have subscribed to a broadband Internet connection provided by a local cable TV provider.

Normally, I use my laptop which has Windows 7 for light surfing. I have set up a Broadband connection(PPPoE) for the same as per the provider's instructions.

The issue arises when I remove the cable from my laptop and plug it into my desktop and try to use it by setting up a connection there,too. My account either gets locked immediately or even if it connects, USPayserv when I connect the cable back to my laptop, it appears surely locked. Then I have to call up the provider to unlock it 😞

I'm sure that the provider is storing something on each machine and disallowing use of multiple machines. This is a real disadvantage as I can't download overnight by using my desktop.

Please guide as to how I must get rid of this inconvenience.

Thanks and regards !

2 REPLIES 2

kelper
Guru

This forum is for BT Business accounts.  You need to contact your ISP.  But I suggest you leave the ethernet cable connected to the desktop and connect the laptop using wifi.  If you don't understand all this ask for help from a young family member.  Good luck.

Where do you live?  Who is your internet service provider (ISP)?

tilvere21

It could be because the connection is tied to the MAC Address of the network card. If the cable modem has a USB port you could try that option to connect to a USB port on the PC and laptop - you may have to install the drivers on the laptop and PC.