cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC to FTTP, expected behaviour

fguk

We have been running successfully with Draytek routers/modems (2820, 2830, 2860 or 2866) on ADSL, FTTC and G.Fast for the last few years. Using either the built in modem for the Draytek, or a separate Draytek VDSL modem, or latterly the BT G Fast modem. So we have pretty much always used PPOE with a username or password, either on WAN1 or WAN2, depending on what was providing the modem side of things. Alongside this we had a single BT fixed IP.

We have recently moved to FTTP, and are using the WAN2 of the Draytek 2866, but have thus far failed to persuade it to get our (new) fixed IP.

I wonder if someone could confirm expected behaviour for me so that I can try and diagnose what is at fault.

I thought the BT Hub 2 (or whatever is supplied with FTTP, I lose track!) connects up and uses specially trickery to get the fixed IP we have been assigned without further ado? No network username required? This doesn't appear to be the case, and putting in the username and password provided to us by BT doesn't get us a fixed IP either, or at least not the one we are meant to have (as confirmed by BT support)? We had to put this device in, as obviously BT don't support 3rd party routers, but even this doesn't work.

I thought configuring our Draytek with the network username and password would also get us the fixed IP, but in this case it doesn't even ever get a connection at all. We are forced to use btbusinesshub@business.btclick.com to get it online (at which point we get a dynamic IP address).

We were told at one point that the fixed IP that we (hopefully) will get with our BT broadband will not show up on a www.whatismyip.com type service, which I am almost 100% sure is not true?

I have been on with BT Business support, but it can be painful, and I really like fixed constants to test against (so I can tell if I am being told accidental untruths!). I am also unable to get through the labyrinth of BT Business online Accounts (we have a few accounts, and neither the app nor the website appears to tell me anything meaningful) online to work out what my network username and password and fixed IP is for myself (even though I am sure they are not deliberately telling me wrong). 

And finally, unrelated to this, we have had quite a bit of equipment to return (because of cancelled and rebooked orders due to installation issues, mostly digging the drive up), and although all returned in the bags provided, and with the Royal Mail receipts to prove it, they are outstanding on our account, or already charged for. I am not sure how they ever manage to organise this process as they have no idea what we are putting in the bags!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

fguk

For anyone interested, the resolution was that there was a problem with the network username and password in the BT account, mainly i think because of a few failed installs at my premises due to ongoing building works. So the details I was putting in correctly were not going to work, but setup of 3rd party routers works the same for FTTP as it did for FTTC, and ADSL before it.

As before, and for as long as I remember, on all sorts of BT connections for customers as well as ourselves, a single fixed IP does not need the network username and password entering if you are using BT smart hub equipment, it just picks it up automatically. If you are using 3rd party kit, then using the (correct in my case!) network username and password, and a PPOE type connection gets you your fixed IP. On a Draytek at least, this does not require you to enter the fixed IP into the settings, and I would imagine that is similar on most 3rd party routers because of the way BT assign the address.

As to the information relayed by BT tech support originally, whatismyipaddress.com should show you your fixed IP, in fact the BT tech team today actually asked me to use it to verify. So no idea what the first BT tech person was talking about....perhaps confusion with the block of 5 ip addresses

And lastly thanks to Beth (from this forum and the complaints team at BT), for sorting out the returned equipment mess I was in, and Michael from the tech support team today for getting the network username and password and BT account sorted out, and consquently my fixed IP is working.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

kelper
Guru

I used a Draytek with FTTC and my username was M******@hg7.btclick.com and password was 13 leters and numbers. Is that similar for you? May I suggest you search this site for Draytek FTTP to find out what settings to use.

A mod will contact you later so do subscribe to get an email notification.

BethM
Administrator
Administrator

Hi fguk 

I can find out your network username and password for you. Can you please send me a Private Message with some account details and we can discuss there about this and the other point you mention regarding the equipment returns.

^BethM

fguk

Many thanks Kelper. Yes that format is similar to my username and password. I have searched already, and the settings appear very similar, if not the same, for FTTP connection and configuration for FTTC, so I suspect that something is weird about the account end. I have as you mentioned made contact with Beth.

fguk

For anyone interested, the resolution was that there was a problem with the network username and password in the BT account, mainly i think because of a few failed installs at my premises due to ongoing building works. So the details I was putting in correctly were not going to work, but setup of 3rd party routers works the same for FTTP as it did for FTTC, and ADSL before it.

As before, and for as long as I remember, on all sorts of BT connections for customers as well as ourselves, a single fixed IP does not need the network username and password entering if you are using BT smart hub equipment, it just picks it up automatically. If you are using 3rd party kit, then using the (correct in my case!) network username and password, and a PPOE type connection gets you your fixed IP. On a Draytek at least, this does not require you to enter the fixed IP into the settings, and I would imagine that is similar on most 3rd party routers because of the way BT assign the address.

As to the information relayed by BT tech support originally, whatismyipaddress.com should show you your fixed IP, in fact the BT tech team today actually asked me to use it to verify. So no idea what the first BT tech person was talking about....perhaps confusion with the block of 5 ip addresses

And lastly thanks to Beth (from this forum and the complaints team at BT), for sorting out the returned equipment mess I was in, and Michael from the tech support team today for getting the network username and password and BT account sorted out, and consquently my fixed IP is working.

kelper
Guru

Great.  Thanks for letting us all know the result.

rachelgomez123
Power User

Upgrade from FTTC to FTTP
If you’re living at a premises with a FTTC connection, there’s a good chance your home will be upgraded to an FTTP connection in the next couple of years for free. The only catch here is that you'll have to sign up for an NBN 250 plan or higher to trigger the upgrade process.

If you don't want to do this or can't bear the idea of waiting on NBN Co to get around to upgrading your suburb on their time, you can also apply for an upgrade through the Technology Choice Program. This can costs thousands to tens of thousands of dollars, but process itself is fairly straightforward.

Regards,

Rachel Gomez

kelper
Guru

Rachel, I know you are trying to help.  He is already on FTTP.  Where do you live?  I'm guessing you are in the Australia?  This forum is for UK business customers of British Telecom - BT.

NBN Co is an Australian company.