cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is anyone using G.fast on a Smart Hub?

mstokes

I had a speed issue with my G.fast installation recently, it dropped from 150 to 86 down, so I faulted it.  When the OpenReach chap saw my Hub 6 and modem he exclaimed "I have never seen G.fast work on anything other than a Smart Hub.  You should ask for a replacement", so I did.  But I found that the Smart Hub still requires the modem to work with G.fast so actually there is apparently no difference between Hub 6 and Smart Hub.  Does anyone have contrary experience, G.fast working on Smart Hub with no modem?

The G.fast required two runs of the tester and the speed is back up to 150.

1 REPLY 1

BookerE1

@mstokes wrote:

I had a speed issue with my G.fast installation recently, it dropped from 150 to 86 down, so I faulted it.  When the OpenReach chap saw my Hub 6 and modem he exclaimed "I have never seen G.fast work on anything other than a Smart Hub.  You should ask for a replacement", so I did.  But I found that the Smart Hub still requires the modem to work with G.fast so actually there is apparently no difference between Hub 6 and Smart Hub.  Does anyone have contrary experience, G.fast working on Smart Hub with no modem? DogNeedsBest

The G.fast required two runs of the tester and the speed is back up to 150.

Hello, mstokes

I can see your query, I give my best please see below and follow the instructions...

G.fast is a technology that delivers ultrafast broadband speeds over copper wires. It requires a special modem that connects to the phone socket and a router that connects to the modem. The Smart Hub is a router that is compatible with G.fast, but it does not have a built-in modem. Therefore, you still need to use the modem that was provided by Openreach.

The Hub 6 is also a router that can work with G.fast, as long as it has the latest firmware update. However, some users have reported that the Hub 6 has lower performance and stability than the Smart Hub when used with G.fast. Therefore, the OpenReach chap may have suggested that you switch to the Smart Hub for better results.

If you are happy with your Hub 6 and your speed is back to normal, you may not need to change your router. The speed issue may have been caused by other factors, such as interference, congestion, or faulty wiring. You can check your speed and troubleshoot any problems using this tool.

I hope this helps you understand the difference between the Hub 6 and the Smart Hub and how they work with G.fast. If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask. 😊

Best regard,
BookerE1