cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Hub 2 rebooting itself

MartinMM

We're now on our third Smart Hub 2 due to hardware issues.

Hub #1 became unresponsive and needed a power cycle. It was only once but I reported the issue and support arranged a new hub for me.

Hub #2 has in the space of 2 weeks turned unresponsive 3 times, and restarted itself 15 times, as evidenced by messages in the technical log such as

23 Aug.  5G   WiFi auto selected channel 36 Bandwidth:80M(Reason:boot)
 23 Aug.  5G   WiFi scan(Reason:boot)
 23 Aug.  2.4G WiFi auto selected channel 6 Bandwidth:20M(Reason:boot)
 23 Aug.  2.4G WiFi scan(Reason:boot)

Hub #3 just arrived yesterday and has already restarted itself once. I say restart but it's more like a power reset, as the log never shows "System restart". Maybe it's a one off but it feels like nothing has changed.

• When unresponsive the hubs cannot be pinged from the internet, and the Hybrid Connect starts flashing red, which rules out internal network issues
  • The second hub was at some point moved to a UPS and still had issues, so it's not losing power
  • We have an old BT Hub 3 (?) which is connected to the same power source and has not lost any uptime whatsoever
  • Restarts are an issue as we run services for remote branches, and also have remote workers. Being interrupted for minutes each time isn't acceptable for a business line.

I would just give up and use our own router but then we lose the Hybrid Connect. I'm at my wit's end. Is it just me or is this how the hardware is?

Edit: the new one rebooted itself for the second time in 24h

6 REPLIES 6

Rosellaborough

@Hettinger wrote:

Hi,

I have a Google Nest Hub (1st gen) that have been working fine until recently. It restarts itself randomly, usually when I give it a command like play XXX on Spotify (other commands too), but not every time.

What can be wrong?

Regards,

What this could mean is that the router every 15 days reboots and checks for OTA (Over-the-Air) firmware updates. It's constantly checking for updates during the 15 days.

Thanks !!

BethM
Administrator
Administrator

Hi MartinMM

I'm sorry to hear your routers keep rebooting. You mentioned the latest router has rebooted itself, are the lights on the router changing when this happens?

^BethM

Rosellaborough

Thanks again !! my wake health login

MartinMM

It's in our comms room so we can't see it when it happens.

3 more restarts today since midnight.

MartinMM

These are the issues we've had with the new replacement hub and replacement power supply.

24/08/22 22:04Restart
24/08/22 15:14Restart
24/08/22 18:13Restart
28/08/22 01:50Restart
28/08/22 02:09Restart
28/08/22 08:18Restart
29/08/22 10:25Restart
30/08/22 18:38Restart
31/08/22 15:19Restart
31/08/22 23:45Restart
01/09/22 05:06Restart
01/09/22 18:37Crashed/needed power reset (unresponsive for ~11 hours)

I don't know how realistic it is to have three hubs with the same issues so I'm wondering if it has an issue with our configuration. All I change when I receive a hub is turn off the firewall, port forward all ports to one of the multiple static IP addresses, turn off smart setup.

I'm going to switch to a third party router to show that other equipment runs fine in our environment.

rachelgomez123
Power User

Methods to fix-

Method 1. Soft reset the TV
A soft reset shuts the TV down completely and reboots it, rather than placing it just into standby mode. This can solve issues that you may be having with apps. There are two ways to soft reset your TV.

Press and hold the power button on your remote until the TV turns off and on again. This should only take about 5 seconds.
Unplug your TV from the power socket for 30 seconds, and then plug it back in.
Method 2. Check for software updates
Software updates provide bug and security fixes for your device. Keep your TV’s software up to date to prevent errors.

Step 1. Press the Home button and navigate to the Settings.

software update step1
Step 2. Go to Support, and then select Software Update.

software update step2
Step 3. Click Update Now to start updating your TV.

Greeting,

Rachel Gomez