cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to access Outlook from my PC

Paul_at_Redwood

I use Outlook on my PC to download emails from Outlook.com. The software is just recently constantly asking for a password which I know is correct as I have used it to log onto Outlook via a webpage.

I phoned BT business helpdesk. The person said it was a known problem as Outlook has amended their security. It would cost me £149 to correct and I have just read a text to me that a BT Pro Setup consultation has been setup for 31 March 2023. This is 3 months way.  It is currently 20 December 2022. It must surely be possible for BT to solve this issue sooner than 3 months. Please help

4 REPLIES 4

VickyK
Administrator
Administrator

Hi @Paul_at_Redwood,

Thanks for reaching out to us! 

Please go to my profile and send me a message over so I can take some further details and see if we can bring this date forward for you.

Thanks,

^VickyK

rachelgomez123
Power User

Check if Outlook is running in compatibility mode
Find the Outlook.exe file on your computer. ...
Right-click the Outlook.exe file, choose Properties, and then choose the Compatibility tab.
If any of the boxes on the Compatibility tab are checked, uncheck them, then choose Apply > OK.
Restart Outlook.

Regards,

Rachel Gomez

RB-BL

I have a similar problem since 5 Jan with e-mails and Outlook, using a BT-supplied Domain, with BTConnect mails routed to the domain address.  Outlook on all PCs (Windows 10) is via a subscription service Office 365 (direct with Microsoft) and is up-to-date.  Outlook repeatedly asks for username and password.  Access via Webmail works.  Thought it's an authentication problem (the removal of basic authentication) so, despite being on Outlook 2016+, forced Modern Authentication via a registry change but this made no difference.
We have received NO notification of any change and certainly not any additional charges such as £149 or £3 a month (indicated elsewhere), so presumably this is merely a fault and not a change of policy ...
Not sure I fully understand Rachel's instructions above, there is no Compatibility tab in my Otlook.exe Properties.
What do I need to do to get this problem fixed?  A simple set of instructions please if I need to change in our Outlook set-up.
Regards 

RB-BL

Update on my post above.  We were notified (twice) in Oct 2022 about the demise of such access via POP on Email Lite with a domain name but ignored them, confident we were not using that method.  Seems we were, so looks like my problem after all.