cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data only line additional compatible handsets

Drew_H

I was recently switched to data only line and BT gave me a Yealink W73P (W70B base and W73H handset).  I find the handset a little on the small side.  I bought another brand DECT phone, but it wouldn't work.  It registered and rang, but wouldn't answer the calls or make them.  I've sent that back now, but trying to find another 'larger' handset that is compatible.  Yeakink website basically says we tweaked the standard and if another DECT phone doesn't work, tuff.

The phone connector on the back of the router is covered with a sticker that says 'not for use'.

Without buying another W73H (which I hate), how can I add another phone to my system?

Can I use a different IP phone with my BT data only line or am I stuck with what BT gave me?

4 REPLIES 4

SamG
Administrator
Administrator

Hi Drew_H,

Thank you for your post.

If the service is Cloud Voice Express, then only the preconfigured handsets BT provide will be compatible. The latest of these is the Yealink W73P but there is also a corded option from Cisco. See this previous post for some more info: Voip - BT Business Community

I've raised this with a member of the Cloud team to see if there is an older Yealink handset compatible with the service which we may be able to provide. I'll get back to you with their response. 

^SamG

SamG
Administrator
Administrator

Hi Drew_H,

I've checked this with the Cloud team and the Yealink W73P is the only cordless handset we provide for the service I'm afraid. Would the corded handset be a better option?

Thanks,

^SamG

Drew_H

Hi SamG,
Its a little worrying that on the data only option there are 2 phones available (seems a backward step to the days of the trim phone) and  where to buy those is hard to find.  Can the corded phone be used at the same time as the cordless?  If the corded is little larger (I have mild RSI and arthritis) them it might be a good second option.  Can you link me to where I can buy additional phones/handsets? I can't find the W73H or Cisco 6861 for sale on BT.  Will any Cisco 6861 work, or does it need preconfiguring by BT?

Its sad that the W70B is DECT, but not compatible with other DECT phones.  There are plenty of OAP DECT phones out there that would work well.  Maybe BT should look at to a different brand that is more compatible.

At some point I know I'm going to leave the phone on the work bench over the weekend and come back on Monday morning to a flat phone.  I really do need one in each room.  I've got the app installed on my mobile now, so I can receive calls on that, but its not ideal and I don't want my employees using it.

Drew_H

Though I'd spend sometime to day phoning BT and trying to get a decent phone.  After being passed around to wrong departments, twice, I eventually ended up where I needed to be to buy a second handset.  For reference the direct number is 0800 011 3237.

Ordered the desk phone (BT Cloud Voice 6861), lets see if thats nicer to hold.  It cost me £74.95 including delivery, so if not its going back.

Still it feels stupid that there are only 2 phones you can use with Cloud Voice express.  Not sure how this will work with disabled people who need specific hardware.  I only have mild arthritis and RSI, but find the small Yealink handset awkward to use.

I haven't even thought about how I hook up my fax machine yet.  I think my alarm system also needs a phone line to be monitored.