cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Static ip for wireless device

islac

Hi,

I would like to configure one of my wireless devices on my 2701 router to use a static IP address.  I don't need the address to be visible to the outside world, just to set the device (an internet radio) to alway use the same IP  when it connects to the router.  The problem is that we have lots of wireless devices which connect to the router, and are continually getting IP address conflicts when devices attempt to connect.

A couple of years ago, I was able to do this without a problem on my old 2700 router.

I can't work out whether the £5 per month charge for a static ip address is now necessary for internal addresses, as well as externally visible ones?

If there is a way to do this without the monthly charge, can someone advise me if my assumption for the following settings which my device (an internet radio) is asking for are correct

IP address: 192.168.1.xxx

Network mask: 255.255.255.0

Gateway adress: 192.168.1.254

Primary DNS: ??

Secondary DNS: ??

Alternatively, any tips on how to minimise this problem of conflicting IP addresses for wireless devices?

Many thanks,

Isla

27 REPLIES 27

whiller123
Super User

@MHC

I support a fabrication company that has a Trumph Laser cutter that is run by Windows 3.1

They also have a CNC turret punch that is run By an 1988 Mac running OS 6

networking with them is a nightmare

I think Trumph still supply new laser cutters run by Windows 3.11

Constant problems sorry I should say job security

Rob

islac

@whiller123

Yes the radio has the ability to switch from static IP to DHCP.  However for some reason (very possibly radio firmware issue)  I can't get it to accept the static IP address I am giving it, using the following:-

IP address: 192.168.1.xxx

Network mask: 255.255.255.0

Gateway adress: 192.168.1.254

It always fails with a "bad gateway" error.  I haven't had time to try your suggested DNS of 8.8.8.8 yet, but will do so later and see if that helps at all.

Isla

whiller123
Super User

@islac

Hi I would only assign at one end or the other if you are assigning the IP address for the radio in the 2701HGV leave the radio set to DHCP If you put the address you want into the radio don't try to assign it from the hub.

The DNS settings should have no effect on the ability of the radio to connect to the hub.

What gateway address do your connected DHCP computers have in their settings?

Rob

bombinho
Super User

The "Bad Gateway" message does not normally implement that there is a DHCP problem.

I would insist you try MHCs solution to actually narrow the DHCP range.

For example you could just limit the highest address to x.x.x.199 and set up a static IP in the Radio to x.x.x.200.

In this way none of the other devices could come across.

Is it the v257 Firmware already you got on the radio? Which is supposed to be a lot better with the DHCP?

Next question: You are aware that all wireless devices share the already not very broad bandwith of your wireless connection? And may interfere with each others. Even though the technology has been developed to minimize those effects it is impossible to avoid problems. And it depends very much on the manufacturer how good or bad this works.

@whiller: If you look at vision impaired people they not that long ago started being supplied with Windows solutions based on Windows XP. Some still use DOS simply because their hardware (input/output) is not exactly cheap. And the vast majority of the older devices did not work (sufficiently) on Windows at all. Yes there start to be solutions based on Vista/7 as well. But it only migrates slowly.

Gerry

I want to configure my BT Hub3 router to use a static IP address.

Gerry

islac

@bombinho & @whiller123

Been caught up in real work, so not had time to play with my radio settings for the last week or so.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions about allocating a static IP outside the DHCP range.  I have just done this, and managed to connect the radio to a static IP without problems.  Have also moved the radio a little further away from other WiFi devices, and seen some improvement that way.

Will find out tomorrow if this actually solves the basic problem I set out to fix at the start of all this!  Hopefully if the radio temporarily loses the wifi connection (e.g. due to poor signal strength), it will now reconnect easily to the router, and won't end up with a whole sequence of "error getting IP address" problems.  Incidentally, some of these errors occur when there is nobody else in the building, and nothing else using the router, which is a bit baffling.  But am keeping my fingers crossed that this will fix it now!

Thanks again for all the help.

bombinho
Super User

@islac wrote:

[snip]

Incidentally, some of these errors occur when there is nobody else in the building, and nothing else using the router, which is a bit baffling.  But am keeping my fingers crossed that this will fix it now!

[snip]

I guess that could be down to some power saving mode issues. Nothing really new. Depending on the length of inactivity the server(s) connected may have changed their status. Once the device wakes up it usually assumes everything is as just before the nap. But that might not be the case.