cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP Static IP

RichieRich

Hi all,

Looking for some information on FTTP with a static IP.

I cuurently have adsl2 into my property and to get the static IP I have to put the smart hub into bridge mode and this then passes the IP across to my 3rd party router. I'm due to have FTTP installed very shortly and I'm slightly confused how the static IP will then be passed to my 3rd party router.

From the ONT this will be an ethernet cable, will I plug this into the smart hub and then ethernet into my 3rd party router to obtain a static IP? Or can I plug directly from the ONT into my 3rd party router which will give me the static IP?

For ADSL when I used my old openreach modem I could not get a static IP even when enterning my username and password provided by BT. I was informed that the static IP information is stored on the smart hub and I would need to put it in bridge mode to get the static IP. That's fine for ADSL but is it the same for FTTP?

So in short the information im looking for is, if I plug my 3rd party router directly into the ONT and use PPPOE with my login credentials provided will I get a static IP? Does the smart hub allow a bridge mode for FTTP connections like it does for ADSL?

Many thanks in advance

4 REPLIES 4

PaulC1
Administrator
Administrator

Hi RichieRich, 

Thanks for your query today. Putting the Smarthub 2 into Bridge mode will feed the static IP through to your third party router. If you have any issues come back here and we can investigate. 

To use your 3rd party router direct, it would need to be FTTP compatible and if it is it will get your static IP

I hope this helps, 

^PaulC1

RichieRich

Hi PaulC1,

Many thanks for your response.

My router is FTTP compatible so that's good to know that the static IP will pass directly to the router. Will my login credentials change once the FTTP service is installed?

PaulC1
Administrator
Administrator

RichieRich, 

Yes you will be given a new username and password to log in. Just DM me here when you get connection installed and I can supply what you need after account validation. 

Thanks

^PaulC1

BillieEilish

Hi RichieRich
I know that you probably already know this concept, but I still want to explain it again so you can better understand this type of IP. 

This type of IP address is manually configured for devices and is fixed, cannot change over time or any computer network. Compared to addresses assigned through a DHCP server, this type of IP will be the exact opposite of a dynamic (changeable) IP.