cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switch to MAPI/HTTP with POP and IMAP switch off

pvanner

I just had an email from BT saying they are switching off POP and IMAP on the 17th of October and we have to switch to the web portal. We can not do this a lot of our programs integrate with outlook (2019) to send invoices, purchases orders, etc.  Does BT support MAPI/HTTP or another method after 17th of October  so i can still use outlook or do i need to switch to another provider? Is there a guide for this.

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8

BethM
Administrator
Administrator

Hi pvanner

If you wish to continue to use your domain emails in a mail client, you can move onto a Microsoft Office365 license which our Enhanced IT Support team can do for you. For more information and prices go to our help article.

^BethM

AlexWash9

What if I already have an Office 365 license (our corporation, not bt)?
how do I set up my email client?

Ouduk

I have the same problem. Already have a Microsoft 365 tenant and would like to move my email there. I tried adding my domain there, but it says it is already on another tenant. It is asking me to log in with admin@bt1968......... and remove it from there first.

tjrw

Same problem. We have BT Business Email Light with 3 btconnect emails and 5 with our domain (also with BT).
We have always used desktop Outlook (now Microsoft 365) and find the browser version very inferior. We also have macros and links.
Is there anyway we can continue to use Outlook?
Similarly all our emails are also used with IoS Mail on our iPhones. Again the Outlook App is very inferior.
Any suggestions welcome as time is running out - we were told October 24th for the cut off.

By the way, tried speaking with a BT "advisor" - they hadn't a clue.

BethM
Administrator
Administrator

Hi Ouduk

To move your email over to your own tenant with Microsoft, you will need to first delete the mailbox with us. Please ensure you back up everything before you do this. Once you’ve deleted the mailbox, it should update within Microsoft, and then you can create the mailbox on your own tenant. This can take up to 24 hours to update but typically it's 20-30 minutes. You can delete your mailboxes by logging into https://secure.business.bt.com/ and going to Manage Services and then Email. 

^BethM

AdrianR

So is it the case that as of end of October we cannot use PC email clients to read and write email? The MS page linked in the email talks about OAuth2 support, but BT doesn't seem to be enabling that. My email client of choice (Thunderbird) can use OAuth2, as well as several other authentication methods, so why can't BT support that? Seems like I would have to pay to migrate my current mailboxes, plus a per-user licence fee, to upgrade to Office 365. Why?

paul-esl

Is there any update on this thread - are we saying 100% that BT will not enable MAPI/HTTP support for business customers using the lite email service, so making it impossible to use the Outlook Desktop Client that supports OAuth with the service? Thanks Paul

RossGTI

Hi Paul, I’m in exactly the same boat as you - what did you manage to sort in the end?