cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Digital Voice not using BSH2 ?

rbjtech

Hi,

I'm trying to use the supplied Digital Voice DECT Phone (Cloud Voice Express) as part of the Business Halo Bundle with a 3rd party router/firewall.

Hardware is a W70B + W73H

I've allowed all the necessary outbound ports - and thus Outbound calls appear to be fine.  I have successfully made an outbound call to a mobile without using the BSH2.

However, on inbound calls, I get 'Number not Valid' on the Mobile.  I've tried forwarding the BT 'Digital Voice' WAN ports to the end DECT device - and I am seeing some incoming hits on the f/w (being NAT'd and allowed), suggesting something is trying to connect - but the incoming call does not ring.

edit - I just tried via the BSH2 - same issues - I can call outbound fine but no incoming calls - results in  'Number not Valid' on the calling mobile - perhaps I have a wider issue ?

Any help appreciated. 😀

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

rbjtech

So despite the industrial action by BT today - it appears somebody was working as the fault has now been fixed and I can finally get incoming calls. 😀

In summary- if you have no firewall rules blocking general outbound internet connectivity - then by using the DECT Yealink IP base station (Cloud Voice Express) is literally a case of it being given a DHCP address from the local network/router and registering with BTCV.   It does not need any inbound ports to be opened.

If however you also block/restrict outbound connectivity (as I do) then you will need to open the SIP and RTP ports listed on Page 4 of the following BT provided PDF.

https://btbusiness.custhelp.com/euf/assets/cloud_voice/pdf/CustomerFirewallandLANGuide.pdf 

If the link ever dies - then these are copied here -

rbjtech_0-1659111794922.png

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

BethM
Administrator
Administrator

Hi rbjtech

How strange, sorry your incoming calls are failing. I'm looking into this for you now and will contact you shortly. 

^BethM

rbjtech

Thanks Beth - I've pinged you on PM.

gibsongilbert

@rbjtech wrote:

Hi,

I'm trying to use the supplied Digital Voice DECT Phone (Cloud Voice Express) as part of the Business Halo Bundle with a 3rd party router/firewall.

edit - I just tried via the BSH2 - same issues - I can call outbound fine but no incoming calls - results in  'Number not Valid' on the calling mobile - perhaps I have a wider issue ?

Any help appreciated. 😀

Thanks.

I also had similar issue so, I gave up on using my landline for voice calls a while ago, and rely instead on Wi-Fi calling on my iPhone, or various voip services (FaceTime, WhatsApp etc).

I imagine the most difficulty will come from incompatibility with alarm systems and the like, but I’m sure that the vendors will develop solutions.

Using your own modem/router rather than the ISP’s does seem to prevent using their digital voice services however. It’s the same with Sky - you have to use their router. The solution in this case is to port your landline number to a SIP provider I think.

Hi - Thanks for the post.

The Cloud Voice Express service (the DECT IP Base Station) is effectively a stand alone VOIP hub and has it's own MAC address which is registered with BT as the VOIP access point.  As far as I am aware, it's totally independent from the BT Business Smart Hub - unlike the residential 'Digital Voice' which does need the Smart Hub as that also acts as the VOIP access point.

The odd thing is I can dial out/connect without any issues - and I can see incoming traffic on the f/w ports I have allowed during testing hitting the DECT base IP- so I don't *think* it's a network connectivity issue.  

Once it's working - According to the official BT documentation, I shouldn't need to allow any WAN Incoming Ports - It should purely work on Outbound port rules..

If I get it working - I'll update this thread ..  😀

rbjtech

Quick update - BT have confirmed there is a configuration issue on their side going from the PSTN to the BT Cloud Voice net for my number.    BTCV > BTCV calls and BTCV > PSTN are ok.   

So technically,  from a network perspective - my setup not using the BSH2 is working just fine.  😀

Just need BT to fix their end and I should be good.

Once it's all working - I'll post the details of the outbound IP ports used (public knowledge, provided by BT) - as this may be helpful for others in the future in association with this post. 

rbjtech

So despite the industrial action by BT today - it appears somebody was working as the fault has now been fixed and I can finally get incoming calls. 😀

In summary- if you have no firewall rules blocking general outbound internet connectivity - then by using the DECT Yealink IP base station (Cloud Voice Express) is literally a case of it being given a DHCP address from the local network/router and registering with BTCV.   It does not need any inbound ports to be opened.

If however you also block/restrict outbound connectivity (as I do) then you will need to open the SIP and RTP ports listed on Page 4 of the following BT provided PDF.

https://btbusiness.custhelp.com/euf/assets/cloud_voice/pdf/CustomerFirewallandLANGuide.pdf 

If the link ever dies - then these are copied here -

rbjtech_0-1659111794922.png